UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida was a mixed martial arts event held by the Ultimate Fighting Championship on December 11, 2011 (aus time) at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto, Ontario.
A bout between Lyoto Machida and Phil Davis was linked to the event, but Davis was still recovering from a knee injury and the bout did not occur. A bout between Jon Jones and Rashad Evans was also linked to the event. However, a lingering thumb injury meant Evans missed a title bout with Jones for the second time, as Jones faced Lyoto Machida.
After a run of mediocre fight cards, the event is being hailed by fans as one of the best for the year. Highlights of UFC 140 included:
- The return of UFC Ring Girl Brittney Palmer to the Octagon
- Chan Sung Jung’s 7 second KO equalling the UFC record for the fastest ever KO
- Frank Mir breaking Big Nog’s arm in a submission and bringing new meaning to the phrase “tap or snap” (ok, it’s more of a lowlight but it will replayed on highlight reels for years)
- Machida dropping like a rag doll after Jon Jones’ standing submission put him to sleep.
Here are the full results from the main card:
Mark Hominick vs. Chan Sung Jung
Jung defeated Hominick via TKO (punches) at 0:07 of round 1.
Claude Patrick vs. Brian Ebersole
Ebersole defeated Patrick via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28).
Tito Ortiz vs. Antônio Rogério Nogueira
Nogueira defeated Ortiz via TKO (strikes to the body) at 3:15 of round 1.
Frank Mir vs. Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira
Mir defeated Nogueira via submission (kimura) at 3:38 of round 1.
Jon Jones (c) vs. Lyoto Machida
Jones defeated Machida via technical submission (guillotine choke) at 4:26 of round 2.
Fights that earned honours and a $75,000 reward for the fighters were:
- Fight of the Night: Jon Jones vs. Lyoto Machida
- Knockout of the Night: Chan Sung Jung
- Submission of the Night: Frank Mir